You can call this a soup or a stew. It is very simple to make and is so delicious. Saffron is a little expensive, but it makes such a big difference. It goes well with a nice Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. (My favorite) It can be very saucy so be sure to have a hot crusty bread.
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice (not seasoned)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound of halibut or any firm white fish cut in chunks of an inch or more.
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1/4 cup flour,
- 1 tablespoon (1 turn around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- zest of one lemon
- Hot, crusty bread, for plate mopping